"The fact that an ‘independent’ commission on ‘assisted dying’ is to be chaired by a peer who just last year tried to relax the law on assisted suicide, is being funded by a celebrity novelist who is passionately pushing for a change in the law and was dreamt up by a leading campaign group will certainly raise eyebrows."The truth is that euthanasia threatens all of us in Britain:
- The Mental Capacity Act, in certain circumstances, requires doctors to abandon their patients.
- There is a policy of silent euthanasia, not least through the Liverpool Care Pathway, as leading doctors have warned
- Disabled people are increasingly worried by extreme proposals being put forward by pro-euthanasia legislators
- Dame Mary Warnock, the anti-life philosopher in the House of Lords, argues that certain people with disabling conditions have a duty to die prematurely. (She has said: "If you're demented, you're wasting people's lives – your family's lives – and you're wasting the resources of the National Health Service.")
- The Director of Public Prosecutions has published a prosecuting policy which effectively decriminalises assisted suicide in a wide range of circumstances.
- We have celebrity-led campaigns in favour of assisted suicide which get significant media coverage.
- We have high profile court cases which fill the airwaves and serious mainstream newspapers, like the Daily Telegraph, with anti-life propaganda.
Comments on this blog? Email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign up for alerts to new blog-posts and/or for SPUC's other email services
Follow SPUC on Twitter
Join SPUC's Facebook group
Please support SPUC. Please donate, join, and/or leave a legacy