It is vital that we act immediately to counter this threat. If the summit approves the pro-abortion document, those texts will then be used repeatedly against all African countries that currently protect the unborn against abortion.
Please act immediately by contacting the governments listed at http://bit.ly/93yv8I Please tell them that:
- you oppose the review considering the decriminalisation of abortion to be considered at this week's African Union summit in Kampala, Uganda
- maternal death rates are unacceptably high, but lowering them can and should be achieved without killing unborn babies
- evidence suggests that the best way to achieve better maternal health is by improving access to healthcare (e.g. antibiotics, drugs to prevent haemorrhage, blood transfusions, clean facilities, properly trained health professionals)
- access to legal abortion in countries where abortion is currently illegal does not achieve the desired goals and may lead to an overall increase in maternal deaths
- legal access to abortion conflicts with the existing international legal framework
- upholding the rights of women and of their unborn children is a consistent and complementary approach to dealing with existing weaknesses in health care systems.
Please forward any replies that you receive to firstname.lastname@example.org
Comments on this blog? Email them to email@example.com
Sign up for alerts to new blog-posts and/or for SPUC's other email services
Follow SPUC on Twitter
Join SPUC's Facebook group
Please support SPUC. Please donate, join, and/or leave a legacy