- The proposals threaten to further commercialise the killing of unborn children.
- It could suggest that there were no serious adverse effect of abortion on women's physical and mental health.
- Abortion remains a criminal offence on the statute book. Advertising of illegal procedures is contrary to the public interest, advertising codes, and the law.
- Only those agencies with sufficient financial resources would be able to advertise. Abortion providers can generate financial resources for advertising by charging more for abortions. Most pro-life advice services charge nothing. Thus there will be a disproportionate opportunity for abortion providers to advance their cause.
- Most people want the numbers of abortions to decrease, not increase. However, adverts for abortion services would promote abortion, and thereby increase its incidence.
The indications are that overturning the ban would be unpopular among large sections of the public. The prime minister will shortly go to the country to seek election. Our petition provides an important opportunity to demonstrate to him the strength of public feeling against such a change to advertising regulation. Please do all you can to gather signatures at churches, on the high street, at retail parks and at popular bus and train stations. The more signatures we gather, the greater are our chances of stopping this dreadful proposal.
Comments on this blog? Email them to email@example.com
Sign up for alerts to new blog-posts and/or for SPUC's other email services
Follow SPUC on Twitter
Join SPUC's Facebook group
Please support SPUC. Please donate, join, and/or leave a legacy