Friday 14 December 2012

Tablet story about Swiss bishops on abortion challenged

A few hours ago I published a blogpost, citing a story in The Tablet, a weekly magazine marketed amongst Catholics, which alleged: "Ahead of a coming referendum on abortion financing in Switzerland, the Swiss bishops have declared that individuals should vote according to their conscience on whether its universal health-care system should cover the costs of abortions, writes Christa Pongratz-Lippitt".

I also wrote:

"I hope and I pray that The Tablet story is not correct, does not tell the full story in some way or another. If this proves to be the case, and I hear about it, I will, of course, let visitors to this blog know immediately."

I am grateful to Nicolas Bellord, a visitor to my blog, who has just written to me as follows:
"The document by the Swiss Bishops can be found at:

"http://www.eveques.ch/documents/communiques/priorite-a-la-protection-de-la-vie

"Nowhere does it say that voting in the referendum is a matter of conscience. What they do say is that accepting public financing of abortion leads to a normalisation of abortion. They are saying that it is not enough just to vote against this particular aspect but society needs to fight against abortion generally.

"They are a sorry lot at The Tablet."
I will return to this important matter as soon as I have a good translation of the Swiss bishops' communication.

Comments on this blog? Email them to johnsmeaton@spuc.org.uk
Sign up for alerts to new blog-posts and/or for SPUC's other email services
Follow SPUC on Twitter
Like SPUC's Facebook Page
Please support SPUC. Please donate, join, and/or leave a legacy